We all need to do our part to conserve water. Especially in the Summer in Fort Worth Texas, where rain is rare. Here are some tips to help your water bill:
1. Make sure you don't have any leaks in your pipes or worn out faucet washers. A small drip can waste 20 gallons a day, and a larger leak can waste hundreds.
2. Check your water meter. Read the meter before you leave the house for a few hours. When you come home check it again. If the meter does not read the exact same, there is a leak.
3. Insulate your water pipes with pre slit foam pipe insulation. You'll get hot water faster, and avoid wasting water while it heats up.
4. Buy an adjustable toilet flapper that allows for adjustment of per flush use.
5. Install water saving shower heads. Long hot showers can use 5-10 gallons every unneeded minute. A low flow shower head will use about 2.5 gallons per minute.
A dip in the hot tub is a good way to relieve the stress of a long day. Don't increase your stress by getting a bacterial infection.
A whirlpool circulates water but some water will become trapped in the tubing and that creates a great place for bacteria to grow. Even when you drain the tub and clean it, the stagnate water will remain in the tubes.
Here are tips to keep your hot tub in great shape:
1.Close the air intake valves and fill the tub with the hottest water possible. Make sure to fill it a few inches above the jets.
2. Add 1/2 cup bleach and a few squirts of liquid dishwasher detergent, like cascade. Then open the air intake valve and run the jets on full blast. Let it run for 10-15 minutes.
3. Drain tub and fill it again with cold water to rinse. Let it run again for 10-15 minutes. Then drain and wipe down tub.
Did You Know
We have been experiencing record breaking drought conditions in Fort Worth and Dallas. This can result in a record number of water leaks for homeowners as the drought conditions can cause slabs to crack.
How can you tell if you may have a slab leak?
Here are some things to monitor the house for possible water leaks:
1. When your toilet is flushing and no one is near the toilet. Don't worry, you don't have an invisible person living with you, it is just a water leak.
2. Water is leaking into your toilet when water is moving from the tank to the bowl and no one is flushing it.
3.Another method of detecting a water leak in the toilet is to add food coloring into the tank. if you see color in the bowl after a few minutes then you have a leak. Morgan Leak Detection can help you fix it.
4. Since most water pipes are located inside of walls and floors, those are more difficult to spot. If you notice that your carpet or walls or ceiling have a discolored spot, then you may have a leak. You may also have a messy toddler, or a new puppy, but if you have neither or those, then you probably have a leak.
5.If you notice unusual wet patches in your yard or flower bed, then you may have a leak.
6. You should also monitor your water bill. If you have an unusually high bill with normal water usage, then you can call Morgan Leak Detection to test your house for possible leaks.
Water leaks only worsen with time. It is best to get it checked out right away before more damage is done. Early detection and repair will save you money and prevent damage to your house.